Railroad Pre-Departure Inspection (CFR 215, 238) – Interactive 3D Simulation
BACKGROUND & PROBLEM
At each location where freight cars are added to a train (which have not been inspected at that point), the cars must be inspected by the train crew for defective equipment and other safety concerns. This inspection is a fundamental part of a railroad’s initial training for Conductors and Freight Car Mechanics. This inspection and testing, known as a Pre-Departure Inspection (CFR 215), requires Railroads to have multiple freight cars on-site and allocate a significant amount of training time for demonstration, practice and evaluation.
To alleviate physical space and time constraints, Railroads can deploy an interactive 3D Simulation covering the complete inspection process. The simulation allows a student to visually inspect a variety of randomized freight cars, as part of a train, while manipulating components to identify defective equipment and other safety concerns. The student determines which components are defective via an exam practice mode. This gives the student additional practice at their pace with a record of their performance given at the end.
Inspection Items include: Brake Rigging, leaning/listing/sagging carbody, objects dragging under or extending from cars, insecure coupling, wheel defects, hand brakes, and all safety appliances.
Complete list here.
Car types: Gondola, Flat, Box, Tanker, Hopper, Well/Intermodal.
Avalable on PC, Mac, iOS, Android
- Improved knowledge of freight car components and functions and Increased efficiency when performing the Pre-Departure Inspection.
- Reduced need for live equipment (Locomotives/Freight cars allocated for training).
- A standardized training resource and a formalized tool for refresher training – part of a wider initiative for meeting FRA Part 243 training requirements.
WHAT TO EXPECT
After using the sim, employees should be able to:
- Identify & measure defective freight car components
- Inspect wheels/trucks for defects
- Determine if equipment is securely coupled and if hand brakes are applied or released
- Identify safety hazards on freight cars
- Complete a Pre-Departure Inspection (CFR 215)
“Training 100 mechanics & 1800 conductors using the sim and up to 15,000 soon.”– Norfolk Southern
“Rolling the Sim to the entire Mechanical group” – CSX
Download the Pre-Departure Inspection Sim Brochure here.
Want to license this training solution for your workforce? Reach out here – email@example.com or call 888.781.0274 ext. 701
View our complete Catalog of Rail Training Solutions available for your team to deploy today.