Railroad Locomotive Daily Inspection (CFR 229) – Interactive 3D Simulation
BACKGROUND & PROBLEM: Every day that a locomotive is in use it must receive a Daily Inspection. This inspection is a thorough examination of all major components of the locomotive to ensure that no safety hazards exist, as well as, confirming that the locomotive meets all Federal Railroad Administration requirements (CFR 229). Currently, Railroads provide training on this inspection through PowerPoint presentations and hands-on training. The amount of hands-on training is limited by class size and availability of locomotives. These limitations make hands-on training costly, difficult to schedule, and not scalable.
(Note: Some railroads refer to this inspection as a Locomotive Calendar Day Inspection)
SOLUTION OVERVIEW: To alleviate physical space and time constraints, Railroads (Norfolk Southern, BNSF and more) deploy simulation based training (by Heartwood) covering the complete inspection process. The simulation allows a student to visually inspect over 200+ items, giving the student additional practice at their pace with a record of their performance at the end.
Used for: Classroom Training, Evaluation.
- User Interface (UI) to navigate & interact with 200+ inspection items.
- Inspection items with multiple settings, such as lights, function in all available settings.
- Inspection items with possible defects are randomly generated in two visual states; “good” or “bad”.
- Virtual inspection form to fill in during inspection.
- Score card to show performance and improvement.
Complete list of Inspection Items here.
Available on PC, iOS, Android, Web (LMS/SCORM)
1. Improved knowledge of Locomotive components and functions and Increased efficiency when performing the Locomotive Daily Inspection.
2. Reduced need for live equipment (Locomotives allocated for training).
3. A standardized training resource and a formalized tool for refresher training -part of a wider initiative for meeting FRA Part 243 training requirements.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
After using the sim, employees should be able to:
- Identify defective components on locomotives.
- Inspect wheels/trucks for defects.
- Identify safety hazards on locomotives.
- Measure locomotive components to determine if they meet requirements.
- Setup locomotive for operation including RCO setup and MU setup.
- Perform an Air Brake Test.
Download the Brochure here.
Want to license this training solution for your workforce? Reach out here – [email protected] or call 888.781.0274 ext. 701
View our complete Catalog of Rail Training Solutions available for your team to deploy today.