Air Brake Test (CFR 238) – Interactive 3D Simulation
BACKGROUND & PROBLEM
Inspecting and testing air brakes, a common railroad task, is a fundamental part of a railroad’s initial training for an individual trained as a “qualified maintenance person”. This inspection and testing, known as a Air Brake Test (CFR 238), requires railroads to have multiple rail cars on-site and allocate a significant amount of training time for demonstration, practices, and evaluation.
SOLUTION OVERVIEW: To alleviate physical space and time constraints, Railroads (Amtrak, BNSF, UP, CSX, Norfolk Southern, Conrad Yelvington and more) deploy simulation based training (by Heartwood) covering the complete inspection process.
The simulation allows a student to visually inspect a variety of randomized rail cars, as part of a train, while manipulating brake components as necessary to properly configure the brake system.
The student determines correct brake pressure and inspects for brake application & release via an exam practice mode. This gives the student additional practice at their pace, from any device, with a record of their performance given at the end.
- Air hose leaking
- Uncoupled air hoses
- Piston leaking
- Angle Cock leaking or closed
- Retainer Valve leaking
- Cut Out Cock leaking or closed
- Fouled brake rigging
For Passenger railroads
Available on PC, Mac, iOS, Android
1. Improved knowledge of air brake components and functions and increased efficiency performing the Air Brake Test.
2. Reduced need for live equipment (Locomotives/Rail cars allocated for training).
3. A standardized training resource and formalized tool for refresher training – part of a wider initiative for meeting FRA Part 243 training requirements.
WHAT TO EXPECT
After using the sim, employees should be able to:
- Identify and determine the correct positioning of rail car air brake system components
- Manipulate rail car air brake system components and determine correct brake pipe pressure
- Inspect brake system components to determine if a brake is applied or released
- Complete a Class I Brake Test (CFR 238)
This year 45,315 railroaders will stay competent with these training simulations and guides.
Download the Air Brake Test Sim Brochure here.
Want to license this training solution for your workforce? Reach out here – [email protected] or call 888.781.0274 ext. 701
View our complete Catalog of Rail Training Solutions available for your team to deploy today.