Blue Signal Protection (CFR 218) – Interactive Simulation
BACKGROUND & PROBLEM: To ensure the safety of railroad employees and equipment, federal regulations require proper Blue Signal Protections (CFR 218) be set up prior to performing certain procedures.
Typically this training is delivered through a mixture of classroom lecture, instructor-led activities, hands-on demonstrations, and practical examinations – but limited rail yard space and equipment translates into less hands-on demonstration and practice. Railroads would benefit from a better way to evaluate their employees’ knowledge of where and when to set up blue signal protections and provide ongoing refresher training.
SOLUTION OVERVIEW: The Blue Signal Evaluation Sim will evaluate employees’ knowledge of when and where to place blue signal markers, tags, locks and lights as well as which switches to change. The goal is to give students the opportunity to practice virtually without requiring live equipment.
- Train Yard
- Line of Road
- Car Repair Facility
- Locomotive Facility
- Sim will randomly choose 10 scenarios to test employees’ knowledge
- Easily navigate environments to view track equipment, locomotives, and cars
- Menu system to choose blue signal equipment
- User Interface (UI) to interact with all blue signal equipment
- Tracking system and score card to show performance and improvement opportunities
Available on PC, iOS, Android, Web (LMS/SCORM)
1. Improved knowledge of where and when to set up blue signal protections.
2. Increased efficiency in identifying where and when to set up blue signal protections.
3. A standardized training resource and formalized tool for refresher training.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
After using the sim, employees should be able to:
- Determine the appropriate blue signal protections relevant to the contextual scenario (train yard, repair facility etc.)
- Through repeat practice and self-assessment, achieve a satisfactory ‘PASS’ score based on multiple randomized safety scenarios.
Want to license this training solution for your workforce? Reach out here – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888.781.0274 ext. 701
View our complete Catalog of Rail Training Solutions available for your team to deploy today.